Tesco fined £500,000 after schoolboy was electrocuted reaching for an ice lolly

Supermarket giant Tesco has been fined £500,000 after a ten-year-old boy was electrocuted while reaching for an ice lolly from a freezer.

The company pleaded guilty at Reading Magistrates’ Court to two health and safety offences.

The incident happened in 2017 at its store in Warfield, Berkshire.

Magistrates heard how the boy was reaching into the freezer when he touched a wire exposed by a loose rail.

He suffered a burn and a pain in his chest and leg.

Store records showed the rail was known to be loose.

It had been “fixed” with glue and tape.

A Tesco spokeswoman said:

“This incident should not have happened – as we acknowledged in court, on this occasion we did not meet our high standards when it comes to health and safety.

“We immediately refreshed colleague training on our health and safety and maintenance escalation procedures at this store after the incident took place.”

The £536,000 fine also included costs and a victim’s surcharge.

 


About the Author

Philip Braund spent 16 years at the Daily Mirror as a reporter and news editor before moving to ITV. He was the series producer of the ground-breaking investigation programme The Cook Report, Managing Editor at ITV's Millbank Studios, and Head of News at ITV Central. He has won national and regional Royal Television Society awards for documentaries.



Back to Top ↑