Sky News presenter Kay Burley has said sorry after she broke lockdown rules to celebrate her 60th birthday.
Ms Burley – who did not appear on her show today (Tuesday) – now faces an internal inquiry.
She and a group of friends went to the Century Club in Soho.
The party of ten sat at two tables – a four and a six.
The group then went to a nearby restaurant before just four members returned to Ms Burley’s home to continue the party.
During lockdown Ms Burley has been tough in holding politicians to account over the Covid-19 regulations.
She has now admitted breaking the Tier 2 rules herself.
In a tweet she said:
“I want to apologise to you all for an error of judgment.
“On Saturday night I was enjoying my 60th birthday at a Covid-compliant restaurant.
“I am embarrassed to say that later in the evening I inadvertently broke the rules.
“I had been waiting for a taxi at 11pm to get home.
“Desperate for the loo, I briefly popped into another restaurant to spend a penny.
“I can only apologise.”
Ms Burley has blamed the Soho error on a “misunderstanding”.
But she has not resolved why she and four people – including Sky political editor Beth Rigby – returned to her house.
A Sky News spokesperson said:
“We place the highest importance on complying with the government guidelines on Covid, and we expect all our people to comply.
“We were disappointed to learn that a small number of Sky News staff may have engaged in activity that breached the guidelines.
“Although this took place at a social event in personal time, we expect all our people to follow the rules that are in place for everyone.
“An internal process is under way to review the conduct of the people involved.”