Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

United Kingdom

Queen left in dark over Harry and Meghan’s decision to quit royal life

The Queen and Prince Charles were unaware of the shock statement Prince Harry and wife Meghan were quitting royal duties.

Prince Harry told senior royals about his plans but was asked to put it in writing.

Instead, he posted the details on his official website.

Advertisement

It’s said his jumping the gun had led to “anger and confusion” in Buckingham Palace.

The couple’s statement said:

“After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution.

“We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the royal family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty the Queen.

“It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment.

“We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to the Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages.

“This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity.”

In a message posted on Instagram, they added:

“It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment.”

Last year Harry and Meghan appeared in a documentary in which they talked about the pressure of being constantly in the public eye.

Harry also issued a swingeing attack on the media accusing some of bullying his wife.

The family has just returned from a six-week break in British Columbia.

The Palace has confirmed discussions are continuing with the young royals on their plans to go to Canada and be “financially independent”.

Those talks are said to be at “an early stage” and will be “complicated”.

A Palace spokeswoman said:

“We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through.”

The BBC has claimed the Palace is “disappointed” by the couple’s unexpected statement.

Comments

Latest Tweets

Advertisement

You May Also Like

Business

The controversial Russian businessman Viktor Baturin, well-known for his years-long counterstanding with his wealthy sister Elena, widow of Moscow ex-mayor Yuri Luzhkov, is likely...

European Union

On April 9, 2022 Dimash Qudaibergen’s first solo concert in Germany took place in Düsseldorf. The colossal energy and the atmosphere of unity did...

United Kingdom

A rare £100 bank note given to a charity shop has been sold for £140,000 at auction. Oxfam volunteer worker Paul Wyman spotted the...

United Kingdom

The Watneys Party Seven is making a comeback. The ubiquitous 70s beer was a bland fizzing bitter ridiculed by many. The drink’s insipidness helped...