The ceasefire has been extended in Sudan for another three days, despite reports of continued heavy fighting in Khartoum’s capital and in western Darfur.
The US and Saudi Arabia brokered an agreement to extend the truce that was due to expire on December 31.
Foreign Secretary James Cleverly urged Britons living in Sudan “to proceed to the airport as soon as possible to ensure your safety”.
At least 897 people have been rescued by the British evacuation mission, while the White House expressed concern over ceasefire violations. It warned that the situation could “deteriorate at any time”.
As of 4pm Thursday, eight British flights had already left Sudan . The Foreign Office has promised “further flights” to follow.
Mr Cleverly warned Britons stuck in Sudan it would be “impossible to evacuate” them once the ceasefire ended. He urged them to get to the airfield to the north of Khartoum immediately.
Out of the 4,000 British passport-holders that are believed to be in Sudan, more than 2,000 British citizens have registered for the evacuation plan. British military chiefs have said they have the capability to evacuate at least 500 persons per day from the Wadi Saeedna airport.
Cleverly said to Sky News that “we cannot predict what will happen exactly when the ceasefire ends. But what we know is that it will be much harder, and potentially impossible.”
We strongly advise British citizens to travel through Wadi Saeedna while the ceasefire remains in place.
There are planes and we have the capacity to lift you up. Once a ceasefire is over, I can’t give the same assurances.
How do British nationals reach the RAF base?
Sudanese evacuees traumatised describe “horrendous” scenes
Explainer: Why is Sudan fighting so violent?
The HMS Lancaster was dispatched by the government to help with an evacuation from Port Sudan. The city has been used by other countries to evacuate people.
The previous ceasefire did not stop the fighting completely, but it had calmed down enough for tens and thousands of Sudanese to flee into safer areas.
Fighting has brought the Sudanese population to a breaking point. Food is scarce, power is cut in many parts of the capital, and hospitals are closed.
Multiple aid agencies had to suspend their operations, and the UN Refugee Agency said that it was preparing for tens or thousands of refugees to flee to neighboring countries.
Gunmen looted shops and homes in Genena (also known as Al Junaynah) in Darfur. Fighting continued in Khartoum in Sudan’s capital but at a lower level.
Darfur remains a hotbed of violence since the conflict began two weeks ago.
The fires that destroyed a market, government offices, aid compounds and even premises owned by the United Nations have also affected other buildings.
Criminal gangs have also looted hospitals and destroyed equipment, cutting off access to healthcare in the city.
Subscribe to Sky News Daily podcasts
On Thursday, gunmen wearing RSF uniforms attacked several neighbourhoods in Genena. They forced many people out of their houses and pushed the military back into its barracks.
In Nyala, capital of South Darfur earlier this month, fighters from RSF are alleged to have destroyed and looted warehouses for food aid.
According to the health ministry of the country, at least 512 civilians, including fighters, have died in the conflict, and 4,200 more were injured.