Canada and the USA have canceled searches for three unidentified objects shot down last weekend. Investigators are now beginning to analyze the debris from the first Chinese spy balloon that was shot down at the beginning of the month.
They confirmed that authorities could not locate any debris from the three unidentified objects.
Late Friday, the US military stated that they used a range of capabilities with Canadian partners and federal agencies during their search operations.
US President Joe Biden stated this week that “nothing at the moment suggests that the objects were connected to China’s spy ball”.
He said that they were most likely balloons connected to private companies, research institutions or recreation centers studying weather or carrying out scientific research.
The third object was seen falling over Canada’s mountainous, sparsely-populated Yukon in northwest.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police announced its decision on Friday to stop all searches, despite Justin Trudeau being the Canadian Prime Minister.
“Given the snowfall that occurred, the decreasing likelihood the object will be located, and the current belief that the object isn’t tied to a scenario which justifies extraordinary search efforts,” the RCMP stated in a statement.
Spy balls and flying objects: This timeline shows where and when fighter jets have taken down unidentified aircraft this month
The recovery efforts for the Chinese surveillance ball that was shot down off the South Carolina coast 2 weeks ago were completed on Thursday. “Air and maritime safety perimeters are now lifted,” the US military’s Northern Command stated in a statement.
It confirmed that the balloon’s last debris was headed to an FBI laboratory in the southeastern US State of Virginia for analysis.
John Kirby, a spokesperson for the National Security Council, stated that there is a substantial amount of recovered material, including the payload structure and some electronics. All that’s currently at the FBI laboratory, Quantico. He also said that the US had already learned much about the balloon from watching it in flight.
He said that he believes we will learn more by looking at its guts and seeing how it works and what it can do.”
Officials in the Counteroffensive will make use of the priority sensors and electronics on the Chinese balloon to find out how Beijing may have collected and transmitted surveillance information.
Subscribe to Sky News Daily, where you can get your podcasts
China insists that the balloon which was about the same size as a car spent over the US for a week was used to conduct meteorological research. However, it was blown off course.
China’s top diplomat Wang Yi stated Saturday that the US handling of the balloon incident was “unimaginable” as well as “hysterical”, a violation of international norms.
“There are so many balloons around the world, so the United States is going to shoot them all down?” Yi, director
of the Office of the Foreign Affairs Commission of the Communist Party of China Central Committee, at the Munich Security Conference.
On Thursday, President Biden stated that if an object poses a threat to safety or security of the American people, he would remove it.