His agent said that Christian Atsu, a former Newcastle United footballer, is still missing over a week after the earthquake in Turkey.
Nana Sechere stated that the 31-year old winger, who was with Turkish side Hatayspor from last summer, “still has not been found”. She also said that two pairs of his shoes were found in his exact “room location”.
Initial reports stated that the Ghanian international had been rescued from the rubble of an unfinished building. However, he has not yet been found.
Worries about waterborne diseases – Turkey earthquake
More than 40,000 people were killed in the 7.8 magnitude earthquake that struck on February 6, followed by aftershocks that hit southeastern Turkey, northern Syria and left millions homeless.
Update: Mr Sechere tweeted that the player was with him at Hatay’s earthquake site in Turkey.
He stated, “We still haven’t located Christian.
“The scenes are beyond comprehension and we are deeply sorry for the loss of all those involved.
“During my stay here, we were able to find Christian Atsu’s exact room location and have also found two pairs his shoes.
“Yesterday, we received confirmation that thermal imaging was showing signs that up to five people were alive. However, I have been told that sight, smell, and sound are the only true indicators of life and we weren’t able to find Christian.
Between 2016 and 2021, Atsu was a Newcastle player.
Newcastle United stated that it was “praying for some good news” regarding the Atsu quake after receiving initial news.
Mr Sechere stated that “things are moving extremely slow”, and added: “It’s unfortunate that the club has not been on the ground side-by side with us in the search for Christian.” Their influence and local knowledge, combined with their position would be very helpful.”
He called on Hatayspor, Lutfu Svas, Hatay’s mayor, to increase their resources for the rescue effort.
He said: “This is an extremely difficult situation, and we are extremely thankful to all the Turkish rescue teams and local civilians volunteers for their efforts in rescuing survivors.
“We urgently require more resources, including a translator on the ground. The situation is extremely slow, which means that many rescues are delayed and people are losing their lives due to a lack of resources.
Claire Rupio Atsu’s partner has also requested equipment be sent to the building that collapsed where he lived.
Syria agrees for UN earthquake aid access
A ‘Nightmare Scenario’ in Syria: Nearly five and a quarter million people could be homeless
Search and rescue operations for survivors of the disaster are ongoing. Some were found nearly 200 hours after the earthquake.
Premier League announced Friday that it would donate PS1m to earthquake victims.