There are few survivors left in Dnipro, a southeastern Ukrainian city. This is just a day after the building was struck by a major Russian missile.
Threety-five people were confirmed dead, including two children. Valentyn Reznichenko (the Dnipropetrovsk region governor) said Monday that 75 more were injured, 14 of them children.
35 people are still missing, believed to be trapped beneath the debris of the nine-storey block. Borys Filatov, the mayor of the city was skeptical about the chances of finding more survivors.
According to Mr Filatov, “The chances of saving people right now are very slim,” he told Reuters news agency. “I believe the number of people who will die is in the hundreds.”
He stated that the block had two stairwells, which included dozens of flats, and they were destroyed. The search continues.
Dnipro’s attack was among the most devastating of all the war crimes against civilians.
This is the largest death toll since the Zaporizhzhia area was attacked in September 2022.
Russian troops injured in Belgorod following a soldier’s mishandling of grenade – Latest Updates
According to Ukraine’s air force, the missile struck the block with a Russian Kh-22 rocket. This antiquated weapon is well-known for being inaccurate and Ukraine does not have the necessary air defenses to take it down. This Soviet-era missile was designed to destroy warships during the Cold War.
Emergency workers heard the screams of people in the wreckage on Sunday and waited for silence to direct their efforts.
A woman was found alive by firefighters more than 18 hours after the attack. They carried her to safety in their arms and then lifted the body from the rubble using a crane.
At least 30 killed in Dnipro apartment building attack
UK announces number of tanks to be shipped to Kyiv first
Putin’s first victory in months is in a mining community
Although Russia has not explicitly acknowledged the attack, its defense ministry issued a statement stating that it launched a series of missile strikes against Ukrainian military and infrastructure sites.
The statement stated that all objects had been hit. “The strike targets have been met.”
In his nightly address, President Volodymyr Zilenskyy promised to continue searching for survivors of Dnipro’s attack.
“Search and rescue operations continue and dangerous structural elements are being removed. All day. We fight for every life.”
Subscribe to Ukraine War Diaries wherever your podcasts are available
He asked for more weapons from the West to stop “Russian terror” attacks on civilian targets and to prevent future ones.
After promising additional weapons to France and Poland, Britain launched Saturday’s attack. It said it would send 14 Challenger 2 main battle tank main battle tanks along with artillery support.