Officials have confirmed that the final suspect in the mass stabbings at a Canadian reserve in recent weeks has died of self-inflicted wounds.
Myles Sanderson (32), was discovered near Rosthern in central Saskatchewan. He was responding to reports that a vehicle had been stolen by a man armed and wielding a knife.
Sanderson was rammed off the road by officers and driven into a ditch. He was taken into custody but later went into “medical distress”, according to a spokeswoman.
He was taken to the hospital but died soon after.
Assistant commissioner Rhonda Blackmore, commander of the RCMP stated that “all life-saving measures we are capable of were taken during that time.”
Although she did not give any details about the cause of death, an anonymous official said that Sanderson died from self-inflicted injuries.
The scene was captured on video and photos. A white SUV was seen off to one side, with several police cars surrounding it.
After the attack on the James Smith Cree Nation in central Saskatchewan, 18 people were injured and 10 died.
Ten victims are still in hospital, with three remaining in critical condition.
Ms Blackmore stated that she had visited James Smith Cree Nation to see the victims and many had “witnessed amazing trauma” at a press conference to confirm Myles Sanderson’s passing.
She said that many people don’t sleep. “They said to me that ‘everytime I close my eyes, they hear noises’.
“I hope they feel some closure and can sleep easier tonight knowing that Myles is gone.
“I wish they can now start healing.”
A massive manhunt was conducted by hundreds of police officers to find Myles Sanderson and Damien Sanderson who fled the crime scene.
Officers described Myles Sanderson as dangerous and armed. He was still on the loose Wednesday afternoon. Police are now investigating whether he murdered his brother.
The Sunday stabbing rampage was one of Canada’s most violent attacks in modern times.
Police claimed that some victims were deliberately targeted while others were randomly attacked.
Although officers have not yet revealed the motive for the attack, a statement by an indigenous group from the region suggested that the stabbings may be drug-related.
Ms Blackmore stated, “Unfortunately, now that Myles has died we may never be able to understand that motivation.”
Violation of parole
There are many questions being asked about Myles Sanderson’s actions on the streets. He has 59 convictions and a history of violence.
A parole board released the 32-year old in February after he was sentenced to more than four years for charges including assault and robbery. He was wanted by police for apparently violating his release terms since May.
Marco Mendicino, Canadian minister of public safety, stated that there will be an investigation into Sanderson’s parole board assessment.