Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

World

Child dies from suspected brain-eating amoeba infection after swimming in river

According to US health officials, a child who had been swimming in a river died of a rare infection from a brain-eating amoeba.

Officials have not named the child. The child went swimming in the Elkhorn River in eastern Nebraska, on August 8, and then developed symptoms five days later.

Douglas County Health Department reports that the child died 10 days after he was admitted to hospital.

On Thursday, health officials said that the child died from primary amebic meningoencephalitis. This is a fatal infection usually caused by naegleria Fowleri. It is also known as brain-eating amoeba.

Advertisement

According to Dr Lindsay Huse (director of Douglas County Health Department), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is currently conducting tests to confirm the source of the infection.

This would be the first confirmed naegleria Fowleri death in Nebraska history, according to the Department of Health and Human Services.

“We cannot imagine the pain and suffering that the family must feel, and we offer our deepest sympathies,” Dr Huse stated in a statement.

More information about Nebraska

“We can honor the memory of the child’s death by being educated about the risks and taking steps to prevent infection.”

Naegleria fowleri, a single-celled organism, lives in soil and warm water.

Because it can cause brain infections, water containing amoeba can go up the nose.

Although infections are rare, most people who become infected die.

In the US, there were 154 cases of primary amebic meningoencephalitis in the six decades between 1962 and 2021. Only four people survived.

As water and air temperatures rise, the amoeba is becoming more common in northern states.

Dr Huse advised that people use nose plugs to swim in warm, freshwater.

She stated, “Right now we are simply asking the public to be aware of and take precautions when being exposed to warm, freshwater sources.”

The infection cannot be contracted by drinking water.

In July, a Missouri resident died after likely inhaling amoeba from a lake in southwestern Iowa.

Comments

Latest Tweets

London Globe

Convicted paedophile Rolf Harris “gravely sick” with neck cancer, it is reported. zpr.io/A22hEK7LucKa zpr.io/A22hEK7LucKa #news #londonglobe #unitedkingdom

Advertisement

You May Also Like

Business

The controversial Russian businessman Viktor Baturin, well-known for his years-long counterstanding with his wealthy sister Elena, widow of Moscow ex-mayor Yuri Luzhkov, is likely...

United Kingdom

Film director Ridley Scott has recalled the death of actor Oliver Reed while making the Oscar winning blockbuster Gladiator. Scott said hard-drinking Reed “just...

European Union

On April 9, 2022 Dimash Qudaibergen’s first solo concert in Germany took place in Düsseldorf. The colossal energy and the atmosphere of unity did...

United Kingdom

The Watneys Party Seven is making a comeback. The ubiquitous 70s beer was a bland fizzing bitter ridiculed by many. The drink’s insipidness helped...