Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

World

Three US tourists 'died of carbon monoxide poisoning' at Sandals resort in Bahamas

Police have confirmed that three Americans were found dead in the Bahamas at Sandals Resort last month from carbon monoxide poisoning.

On 6 May, Robbie Phillips (65-year-old Tennessee couple) and Michael Phillips (68-year-old Florida resident), were unresponsive at Sandals Emerald Bay resort.

The Royal Bahamas Police Force stated Tuesday that the tourists died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

According to the force, an investigation into the deaths is ongoing.

Advertisement

Three Americans were found dead at Sandals Emerald Bay Resort, Great Exuma, on 6 May.

Donnis Chiarella, 65, Mr Chiarella’s spouse, was in serious condition when she was flown to Florida. She survived.

Police stated that an initial investigation revealed that one of the couple had suffered from illness the night before their discovery.

More information about Bahamas

According to reports, the couple had received treatment at a medical facility prior to returning to their villa.

It wasn’t clear whether the villas were equipped with carbon monoxide detectors, or if they were, if they were functioning.

The police released a statement saying that they could confirm that all three victims had died from asphyxiation caused by carbon monoxide poisoning. This matter is still under active investigation.

Image: Three Americans were discovered at the Sandals Emerald Bay Resort, Great Exuma. Pic from Google Street View

Sandals Resorts stated that they have supported the investigation into the incident to ensure that we learn as much as possible.

They stated that the Bahamian authorities concluded that the cause was an isolated incident within a single structure housing two guest rooms.

However, a spokesperson for Sandals didn’t directly answer a question about whether the villas were equipped with carbon monoxide detectors.

A spokesperson reiterated past statements from the company that carbon monoxide detectors had been installed in all guestrooms at Sandals Emerald bay and will continue to be installed in all guestrooms across the company’s portfolio.

Comments
Advertisement

You May Also Like

Business

The controversial Russian businessman Viktor Baturin, well-known for his years-long counterstanding with his wealthy sister Elena, widow of Moscow ex-mayor Yuri Luzhkov, is likely...

United Kingdom

Film director Ridley Scott has recalled the death of actor Oliver Reed while making the Oscar winning blockbuster Gladiator. Scott said hard-drinking Reed “just...

European Union

On April 9, 2022 Dimash Qudaibergen’s first solo concert in Germany took place in Düsseldorf. The colossal energy and the atmosphere of unity did...

United Kingdom

The Watneys Party Seven is making a comeback. The ubiquitous 70s beer was a bland fizzing bitter ridiculed by many. The drink’s insipidness helped...